DAVAO CITY—Despite last week’s abduction of three foreigners and a Filipino woman in the Island Garden City of Samal in Davao del Norte province, delegates to the 16th National Convention of the Association of Tourism Officers of the Philippines will tour the city as part of their activities.
Some 200 people are expected to attend the four-day convention here starting tomorrow.
Noel Daquioag, provincial tourism officer, acknowledged that the Samal tour was meant as a “damage control” measure to the Sept. 21 seizure by armed men of Canadians John Ridsdel and Robert Hall, Norwegian Kjartan Sekkingstad, and Filipino Marites Flor during an attack on an exclusive marina in the city.
“The tourism sector, both government and private, is beefing up the marketing and promotion of Samal Island,” Daquioag said. He claimed that that Samal had remained on top of the list of tourist destinations in Southern Mindanao.
He said the convention delegates would be visiting the Monfort Bat Cave and the “taklobo” (giant clams) sanctuary in Barangay Adecor in Kaputian District. So far, he said, there had been no cancellations of bookings in any of the resorts on the island because of the abduction.

 

Source: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/

Leave a comment