sam_2260indangan Ruins is located at Brgy. San Vicente, San Fernando City, La Union, about 500 meters from the national highway, near Camp Oscar Florendo, the Regional Headquarters of the Philippine National Police (PNP). The original name of San Fernando, Pindangan in the Ilocano dialect means a place where meat is sun dried with salt for preservation. Because of the place’s abundant dried meat, the place was called Pindangan.
To centralize and start its evangelization in the area, the Frayles Francisco Romero and Santiago Holarte built a church made of stone thatch at the present site in 1764. Because of its proximity to the sea however, there were numerous raids by Japanese, Chinese and Moro pirates that usually loot the coastal areas of La Union. To solve the problem, the Spanish clergy decided to transfer the church to Brgy. Tanqui then to Brgy. Cabaroan and afterwards to its present site in front of the City Auditorium.
p1010532Today, the ruins’ buttresses and walls are still standing. An old well which supplied the area with cool water through the centuries, can still be found at the side of the church. Made of corals and bricks, the enchanting well is still in good condition. The Carmelite Sisters, whose monastery stands behind the ruins, are the caretakers of the glorious landmark.

 

Source: http://www.launion.gov.ph/

Leave a comment