Visita-Iglesia_06_Baclayon-Church-in-BoholFormal Christianization of Bohol began with the arrival of two Jesuits in Báclayon in November 1596, assigned there upon the request of the Spanish encomenderos of the island. The colonizers had already built a chapel for their own devotions, and here the Jesuits established their first mission. They then proceeded east to Lóboc and eventually to Talibón on the northern side of the island.
Differing from other religious orders whose mission assignments lasted for 3 years or more, the Jesuits lived together in a centrally located residence, from where they sallied out in rotation. For the southern part of Bohol, the Jesuits chose bohol-tagbilaran02Lóboc over Báclayon because of its more strategic position. In the 18th century this residence was relocated to Dauis on the island of Panglao, where it was more accessible to the burgeoning missions along the southern coast of Bohol. The northern towns of Inabanga and Talibón pertained to the Jesuit residence in the opposite island of Cebu, since communication was easier this way.
It was in this northern area that a major, drawn-out revolt erupted. Francisco Dagohoy, irate over the refusal of the cura parroco of Inabanga to give Christian burial to his brother (he was killed chasing an outlaw in Talibon, upon orders of the priest himself) took to the hills with his followers in 1744. In general terms, the Dagohoy rebels lived in independence for decades in the northern half and interior of Bohol. Thus missionary and church-building activity was limited to the southern half.

 

Source: http://www.bohol-philippines.com/

Leave a comment