5525574954_1b41397c9d_oThe St. Joseph’s Cathedral, one of the oldest churches in Bohol, was built in 1595 and was destroyed by an earthquake in 1798, then later rebuilt in the 19th century. It is located in Tagbilaran City, Bohol, near Plaza Rizal and the Provincial Capitol. The church is adjacent to the Bishop’s Palace where the Bishop of the Tagbilaran Diocese resides and hold office. The parish office is also located at the Bishop’s Palace.
Built from the usual materials found in other old churches built by the Spanish colonizers, the church retains the classic look at the front facade. The increase in number of the faithful has made it necessary to expand the building at both sides to accomodate more church goers.From the inside, the church is both simple and majestic. Simple because the decorations are not as ornate as those found in Baclayon Church or that of the Sto. Nino Basilica in Cebut. Majestic because it inspires awe when you look up at the display of saints behind the altar. Weddings are grandest at the cathedral which would explain why it is not easy to get a reservation for the wedding schedules. Give yourself a year to reserve in order to be sure.

 

Source: http://www.boholweb.com/

Leave a comment