Malabrigo-LighthouseFaro de Punta de Malabrigo, is one of the 24 lighthouses erected in the Philippines during the course of the Spanish Colonial period.
The century old lighthouse can be spotted at the top of a cliff in the town of Lobo, Batangas. It is overlooking Verde Island and Mindoro from afar. By private car it is around three and half hours drive to get to see the historical landmark.
During the Spanish colonization, an order was made to construct lighthouses in key maritime routes throughout the Philippines. Its foremost purpose is to safeguard the growth of maritime traffic the Philippines is experiencing.
Malabrigo_Light_HouseFaro de Punta de Malabrigo was built by Jose Garcia and designed by Guillermo Brockman and construction was finished in 1896. Its architecture was Victorian inspired, with tower, pavilion and service buildings, were incorporated to accommodate the lights as well as the caretakers who would operate the lighthouse.
Although the upper part of the tower has been renovated. It still uses the old round brick tower as its base. At the same time the original lantern and lens were replenish with halogen light and now uses solar power. It stands at 56 feet and comparable to the Calatagan Lighthouse. A steel spiral staircase is at hand to reach the top most part of the tower.

 

Source: http://www.batangas-philippines.com/

Leave a comment